Monday, March 27, 2023

Book Review: Chick Magnet









Overall: 2.75/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing Style: 2/5

Attention Grabbing: 3/5 

Chick Magnet was a definite adjustment from what I usually read because it's extremely contemporary. We have an influencer who makes her living teaching people online about the joys of keeping pet chickens and a vet who is sick of people encouraging people to get exotic pets. We have mentions of the pandemic and TikTok and all of the things I don't expect to see in books, so very extremely contemporary. 

I have a hard time with these books cause I feel like they force the pandemic down our throats and they also simultaneously try to say that everyone is fine and the worst has passed. I think it's a tricky perspective to take as an author and easier to pretend that it never happened. As it stands, it took away from the near fantastical element I feel with these sort of contemporary romances. I still liked the enemies to lovers vibe and the central plot, but I feel it could've been better without all that real life. 

So it was unique and interesting, not necessarily bad just not my absolute favorite. I did learn a lot about chickens so that definitely helped and it was probably a bit of my bad for reading something that looked so incredibly current. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...