Sunday, March 7, 2021

Book Review: Shardless (Tempris #1)

Shardless (Tempris, #1)

Shardless

Stephanie Fisher

4/5

In this world, fey are at the top. The more magic, the better. If you are a human, you have no magic, no power, and are scorned by society. Taly has lived her entire life under the protection of a fey lord and lady, rarely feeling this scorn. One day, Taly discovers not only does she have magic but she has outlawed time magic that could be a death sentence for herself and her entire family. 

When I first started reading, I was kind of skeptical. It felt a little too listy at first like we were being given the descriptions of every conflict directly. As the book progressed though, I really came to enjoy the characters and the worldbuilding. The complexity of the magic system is a little difficult to follow but I like it when there are multiple elements to something and the author takes the proper time to describe it. Although I'm still confused on a couple elements of it all, I'm looking forward to figuring it all out in the sequel. 

The relationship is fine as long as you don't look too closely. I don't know how much time they actually spent together when they were children, what makes it so that they're too close to being siblings in all but blood? I don't know, their pasts weren't completely described so I'm just choosing to enjoy the friends to lovers slowburn. I think the romance is pretty important to the plot line but also not the only thing that's important, it's nicely balanced. 

I would recommend this, kind of reminded me of a more technical and less cringy Cruel Prince. No one has tails, but the world does border the human dimension where I assume the world is completely modern given the description of technology. Even though the real world is mentioned, they don't journey there so I would definitely call this more of a fantasy than a paranormal read. Overall though, it's definitely interesting and I've already downloaded the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...