Monday, March 27, 2023

Book Review: In My Dreams I Hold a Knife

Overall: 4/5

Plots and Themes: 4/5

Characters: 5/5

Writing Style: 4/5

Attention Grabbing: 5/5 

In My Dreams I Hold a Knife is a non-chronological murder mystery. It starts at one point but we're gradually getting more and more information about their dramatic tragic backstories. It's the perfect blend of the realistic and the unhinged that really gets you to the point that you can't put it down. 

I hated Jess at first, but the author did a fantastic job of revealing her past in a way that gradually won me over. I still would hope I wouldn't deal with events the exact same way she did cause she was messed up. I appreciated it though, we weren't wholly on her side and we get frustrated with her being an unreliable narrator until the point that we see it all clearly. 

Definitely one of the best mysteries I've read in a while, I guessed the ending about halfway through but they kept introducing plot twists to the point that I wasn't 100% correct. I also enjoyed the slight dash of romance despite how messy and unrealistic it was. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...