Monday, January 16, 2023

Book Review: Hummingbird (A Charade of Magic #1)



















Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 2/5

Writing Style: 2/5

Attention Grabbing: 3/5

Hummingbird is the first book in a new trilogy by Helen Harper. I've read several series by her and I find that when she hits, she really hits. But I've also read a few misses, and this one is no Firebird or Slouch Witch. It's falling somewhere in the middle of all of them. It exists in an alternate Glasgow, where brutal mages control the city and the magic. The protagonist. Mairi, has been especially wronged by this system as a mute orphan who seems to possess magic- something the mages will allow no woman to possess. 

Part of the problem was that I hate when a character is written in with a disability with the implication that it is temporary. I would rather that they learn their strengths work with their disability rather than trying to say they were broken. I liked that premise, I didn't like the follow-through. The taste of romance we get is entirely too rushed and honestly just feels weird in the circumstances. It was another case of initial interest but poor follow-through with weird pacing. 

So it was pretty good, but I don't know if it was good enough to continue the series. It didn't entice me enough and I'm not on the edge of my seat looking for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...