Thursday, January 12, 2023

Book Review: The Raven Song (A Conspiracy of Magic #2)

Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing Style: 3/5

Attention Grabbing: 2/5

The Raven Song is the second book in what I believe is the Conspiracy of Magic duology. It follows Edwina, a witch grappling with a recent traumatic loss and the more general loss of quite a few things. She has an unusual magic that makes her a target and is trying desperately to outsmart him and protect those close to her. 

I loved the first book in this duology. This one wasn't as significant to me. It lost a lot in the last fifty or so pages when we got the final culmination of all that loss and drama that we'd seen throughout both books. It was anti-climatic and felt pointless in the grand scheme of things. It all felt rushed, the whole books took two weeks total compared to the months and months of not knowing things. I kind of felt like the series was going to be a trilogy and then, like all the best Netflix shows, it got canceled and it scrambled to provide some sort of closure and ending. 

I liked it but I was definitely expecting more from an author that I like and a series I had previously connected with. I still enjoy the whimsical element of a magical London in the 1800s, of course, and the more complex ideas of fae that were being integrated into the plot and society. But I think that they were much wider than the 500 pages of these books allowed for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...