Monday, January 16, 2023

Book Review: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)

 

Overall: 5/5

Plots and Themes: 5/5

Characters: 5/5

Writing Style: 5/5

Attention Grabbing: 5/5

I read this book for the first time in like 2011, before any of the movies had come out. I haven't read it since. I did read the prequel when it came out a few years ago and I was shocked by how well-written it was- not to hate on the original but only because I feel I'm often disappointed by books I read in middle school. Really though, the quality of this book holds up. 

It's firmly YA, but it's done in a way that doesn't belittle the intelligence of the age group. It's well-written and it has deeper themes that come together so nicely. I think that current YA books struggle to balance themselves that way, they either dumb it way too far down or they stray too far into new adult or even adult territory. This book is covering something truly horrific, but I don't believe it's too gory or traumatizing for the age group. I think it teaches valuable lessons and it continues to deserve all the hype it gets.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...