Friday, October 29, 2021

Book Review: Bad Wolf (Cat McKenzie #4)

Bad Wolf (Cat McKenzie, #4)

Bad Wolf

Lauren Dawes

Overall: 3/5

Plot and themes: 3/5

Characters: 4/5

Writing style: 3/5

Attention-grabbing: 4/5

Bad Wolf is the fourth installment in the Cat McKenzie series, following the lone human in the Paranormal Investigations unit. She used to hate the supernaturals, she's come to her senses and is now dating one. Life would be perfect if it weren't for all the random monsters and people who are constantly setting their sights on murdering her. 

I like how quirky the characters are. I have a bit of an issue with the pacing of the romance. I love to see how naturally they work together to like host parties or be like a functioning couple aside from supernatural chaos but I also think we've gotten to that point way too fast. The characters have only known each other for like a month and we have this level of intimacy? Hard to follow. Also, I really need them to both get more background on one another cause we really know nothing and it's frustrating. 

The plot line on this one is also a bit sketchy. I don't like delving into Native stories and then manipulating them to the extent which we see here. I don't think it was intended to be rude but I think it could have been phrased a bit better. It didn't destroy the narrative, but it definitely left me feeling a little like we had missed the mark here.

Still enjoying the series and looking forward to when the next one comes out though. Cat and Sawyer are really just the perfect amount of cool and weird and I need to see some real explanations behind it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...