Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Book Review: An Unexpected Peril (Veronica Speedwell #6)

An Unexpected Peril (Veronica Speedwell, #6)

An Unexpected Peril

Deanna Raybourn

5/5

I'll start by saying thank you to NetGalley for providing me an ARC in return for a fair and honest review. I'm extremely invested in the characters in this series and I honestly don't think that any of their adventures could be boring at this point. In this sixth installment, Stoker and Veronica are investigating the potential murder of a fellow Curiosity Club member. In doing so, Veronica discovers that she looks very much like the Crown Princess of the Alpenwald, paving the way for her to step into this princess's shoes when she mysteriously disappears for a bit. 

Nothing shocked me more than the first book in this series did. Though I think this book fell a little short of where the other books did in terms of the mystery, I think it made up for that with the banter and character development of our two protagonists. I read a lot of historical fiction and when I tell people that, they expect it to be something stuffy or difficult to understand. Veronica Speedwell is anything but, though it doesn't completely disregard the mentalities of the time period in definitely infuses it with witty conversations and personalities that a typical person would not expect.

I had 33 highlights in this book, more than I think I've ever done in any book. I can't describe how clever everything has been during the course of this series. Everything that you expect is completely subverted, from the tropes to the mysteries. When we were first introduced to Stoker in the first book, I don't think I could ever have expected him to be quoting Keats and stealing sweets. And Veronica, she has her moments but she's really growing and realizing that you don't have to be all of one thing. While I have loved her throughout the entirety of the books, I love that she's not so selfish and that she recognizes the things that she wants even outside of her independence. I really appreciate that their growth is authentic to their characters, they're consistent to who they were at the beginning they're just stronger and better people.

So as I do every year when one of these books comes out, I strongly recommend reading this series. It has literally everything that you need from a book and continues to get better with every installment. Veronica and Stoker will always hold a special place for me and I'll keep reading them as long as they keep being written.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...