Sunday, February 28, 2021

Book Review: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)

Shatter Me

Tahereh Mafi

3/5

Juliette Ferrars has spent the past three years being passed between asylums and hospitals and blood tests and shock therapies. She lives in a dark room where she is given little warning if she will be provided food or shower privileges. This is because of her powers, when people touch Juliette, they die. 

I think I originally read this book in 2012, I was 13 and in middle school. That's probably more of the audience that it's intended for, but I feel like it was a much more interesting book to read now. I remember not liking Juliette because I thought she was too emotional, turns out she has like the perfect storm of a tragic backstory and pretty good reason for being unstable. Her romance with Adam annoyed me because it felt undeveloped, even to me as a 13 year old. It's easier to understand now having read the whole series, if you were locked in a room for years and everyone reviled you for your whole life it would be easy to fall in love with the first person to show you kindness. I don't know what Adam's excuse on that is though. 

I also hated Warner during my initial read and was surprised to sympathize with him during this read. The book was extended to a hexology, and though I haven't read the final book, it's much easier to love him now. The bar isn't all that high either. I respect their traumas a lot more than I did as a child and I'm excited to see how I perceive the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...