Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Book Review: The Alchemists of Loom (Loom Saga #1)

The Alchemists of Loom (Loom Saga, #1)

The Alchemists of Loom

Elise Kova

2/5

Arianna has spent the last two years ridding the Loom of Dragons and Dragon influence. Dragons being the ruling class of predators that dominate the Fenthri of the Loom. She is a chimera, a magical blend of the two races that many deem unnatural and doomed to a cursed existence. When she finds an injured Dragon, she agrees to aid him in finding the Alchemists in exchange for a boon. In helping him, they both learn a lot about each other's worlds and how much different everything is than it seemed. 

It was slow-paced. Too many changes in POVs for me to really fall in love with any of the characters. I was struggling to find my rhythm with the book and somehow it was short but soooo long. Arianna was frustratingly tight-lipped about everything and I wasn't seeing any justification for her mechanical prowess or for the emotional entanglements which were supposedly so intrinsic to her character. The phrasing was repetitive, if I read "the woman I loved" one more time I was just going to DNF.

It was interesting enough for me to maybe pick up the next one just because it was so slow-burn. I want to see the culmination of events but I don't know if I have the patience to read through it all. I read Air Awakens a few years ago and thought it was a pretty good series and really liked her most recent standalone so I think it's somewhat due to me not being much of a steampunk fan. I still like Elise Kova but I don't know if this series is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...