Saturday, January 2, 2021

Book Review: One of Us is Lying (One of Us is Lying #1)

One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)

One of Us is Lying

Karen M. McManus

4/5

I was a little scared to read this book, I got it as a gift and getting into contemporary high school books is kind of difficult for me at this point. After being pranked into detention, four high school students watch one of their classmates die from an allergic reaction. Given Simon's notorious reputation for his gossip website, the police are quick to suspect foul play and those four students are the prime suspects. 

I'm not going to say I knew everything that happened, there were a couple of fun twists mixed in that gave the book additional depth. I've seen a lot of people referring to it as The Breakfast Club but with murder which is a fairly apt description. The mystery and pacing of it all reminds me of a book I read a few years ago, Burning Blue, which I also really liked. I think that it was just very well-written and interesting from start to finish. 

I'm not usually a fan of so many first person POVs either, but the author did a great job of phasing them all together. The one thing that felt weird at the end was Nate's reaction to everything, felt like it was kind of just rushed to be problematic then rushed to a solution via an epilogue. Other than that lapse in character arc though, I think they all had a lot of positive growth through tragedy. 

Would totally recommend it for fans of mystery. It's contemporary and set in a high school so might be difficult to get into, but I really like the pacing and the way the plot twists were presented. I don't know if I'll read the sequel, it's definitely a great start though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...