Thursday, January 14, 2021

Book Review: The Camelot Betrayal (Camelot Rising #2)

The Camelot Betrayal (Camelot Rising, #2)

The Camelot Betrayal

Kiersten White

4/5

The second book in the Camelot Rising trilogy, Guinevere struggles to reconcile her duties as queen and wife to Arthur with her inner conflict over the deception. She has magic and great power but she has no idea how or where she got it from and the lack of information continues to press on her. 

I was really not liking it at first. I was having a hard time remembering what happened at the end of the first and Guinevere was just so whiny. I was bored and wasn't sure if I could finish it for the first like hundred pages- that's the only reason I took off a star. I think it's important to remember the difficulties of her life, she is in an extremely elevated station and should be happy but she has to lie about who she is constantly. The person who she can be true with, the person who should know the most about her and support her the most, is never actually there for her. I think I would be extremely angry if I was in the situation she was in and people continued to try to placate me like they do here. 

It started getting super trippy at the end of the book and I suddenly felt like it needed to be a lot longer. I have no idea what's going to happen. Kiersten White does such an amazing job of taking history and transforming it so that you feel like you know what's going on but you actually have no idea. Arthurian legends have been done time and time again, but she provides such a unique twist to nearly every element of it. 

I'm very excited to read the last book in this trilogy and don't know how I'll wait a whole year. I would strongly recommend this for fans of historical fiction and fantasy, books with just like a dash of romance. Also if you like the show Merlin then this would be a great change while sticking with the same content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...