Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Book Review: The Duke and I (Bridgertons #1)

The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)

The Duke and I

Julia Quinn

3/5

It was really difficult to rate this book because I think there was some great characterization and interactions overall. I watched it after watching the Netflix series, so I was expecting certain things to happen yet I was still disappointed by them. I gave it 3 stars because their communication is really well-written, their relationship generally not including that scene and what comes after. 

I was mad in the show that the ending was resolved so quickly. It was like bam Simon is just okay with it all and we move straight into the epilogue. The book is a lot better in this respect because they actually talk it out and get to the root of the problem. Simon's decision regarding the letters was also very critical to his character arc which I think the show totally neglected. That would've been a great thing to include to just assure us that that chapter of his life had closed and he was ready to move past it. 

Getting into spoilers to talk about the scene that ruined it all. Daphne had no right to take Simon's choice away from him like that. He deliberately said no once he realized and she just ignored him from her position of power. He tried to justify it in his head afterwards but there's really no justifying that behavior, especially when alcohol is involved. I'm glad that they talked it out but I don't think Daphne felt any genuine remorse for it. It was just extremely questionable and could've have been done without. Daphne was such a nicely written character with so much consideration for others, that move was just so entirely selfish and out of character for her.

Other than that lapse in behavior, I think that the book is far superior to the TV show. Not saying that the TV show doesn't have its own benefits, but if you ever think that something was missing from their discussions and ultimate resolutions, the books will be where you find that. I would proceed with caution because of that scene, but I still think that the characters are well-written and worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...