Thursday, January 14, 2021

Book Review: Rebel's Blade (The Aermian Feuds #1)

Rebel's Blade (The Aermian Feuds, #1)

Rebel's Blade

Frost Kay

3/5

Sage is a blacksmith by trade, working under the guise of her father's business and using his clients as people would never commission a woman to craft their swords. She also works for the rebellion, fighting for a better life in a country that she has seen fall apart. When she is captured by the crown prince, she becomes a pawn in political machinations that she could never have anticipated. 

I think this is ultimately fantasy romance, the romance was weirdly divided in this first book but I can see where it's going. I respected Sage's attempted strengths of character, it came across as a little too much at points but it was okay. The dialogue had some lapses where it just felt a little too literal, but it flowed fairly decently. I don't know if I like the crown prince, he made some really questionable remarks that I suppose could be justified by his need for information, but he also has a weird mix of no filter yet thinks he's political? I don't know if I like him.

I think the plot was interesting though. I'll never turn around a book about a female blacksmith, I think making swords would be a pretty great career. I hope that that facet of her life gets a little more focus in the sequel rather than just her propensity for the rebellion. I think authors forget that we are also interested in the more commonplace features of a fantasy world and I think that this world could really use some development. 

I liked it well enough to download the sequel and I'm looking forward to having some real conflict introduced. As Kindle Unlimited books go, it was pretty middle of the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...