Thursday, January 28, 2021

Book Review: Blood Oath (Darkest Drae #1)

Blood Oath (Darkest Drae, #1)

Blood Oath

Raye Wagner and Kelly St. Clare

3/5

Ryn was raised in one of the many starving sectors of Verald. They hate their king but the war keeps them from really doing anything about it. When her mother is killed and she is arrested for participating in a rebellion, Ryn discovers that the world is much crueler than she could have known. Lord Irrik is her enemy but honestly the least of her problems. 

A lot of the book was too obvious for me from the beginning. Like, I pretty much knew what was going to go down from the second she said "I pulled my cinnamon brown hair back". Ryn was just really bad at making decisions. People are tripping over themselves to save her and she's constantly just trying to undo all that work. I don't know, I don't think any of her reactions were as cool as she thought they were and she was kind of annoying me. 

Not to say I wasn't interested with the worldbuilding and everything. I see potential for her as a character and I already downloaded the next book so it did its job pretty well. I hope to see her grow up a little- the age difference between her and her love interest is creepy in that way that fantasy YA has somehow just decided that they love. I hope that we see some stronger character development before much else happens because I think she's really just sealing her own fate at this point. I can maybe recommend this as a Kindle Unlimited read for fantasy romance lovers but I think the next book will really determine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...