Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Book Review: The Secret History

The Secret History

The Secret History

Donna Tartt

4/5

This book was so dramatic. Set in the 80s (I think) at a private college in Vermont, six students are surrounded by mystery and intrigue as they get over-involved in the drama of the classics they study. Like, so pretentiously obsessed with their classical studies and their study of language that they have a difficult time discerning fact and fiction. 

Very dramatic and very poetic, didn't rely too much on false drama either. Everything was pretty authentic in the progression of the story. I think that it was all beautifully written and that even though I finished it like over 24 hours ago I'm still trying to analyze all the symbolism and metaphors. Not to say that's the only thing to focus on when you're reading it, it's just fun to discuss. 

I will say that the characters are all pretty unlikable. That's not necessarily something that a book has to have, but it's difficult for me to love a book when I'm not rooting for everyone. I also think that there were major parts of the book that just dragged. That might be because of my reading level, I'm just generally into a different kind of book and this went over my head. But for the whole mystery I think major sections just didn't contribute much to it all. 

It was a great read, a little verbose and more complicated than what I would typically recommend. It has some cool dark academia vibes to it and it stays pretty consistent from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...