Thursday, December 24, 2020

Book Review: A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash #2)

A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)

A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire

Jennifer L. Armentrout

3/5

I know that I'm definitely more cynical about super popular books than I am about the lesser known ones, but how did this book get so popular? I finished it, it was better than the first in terms of world building and the authenticity of their relationship, but it was still such an imitation of everything ACOTAR succeeded on. 

I don't know what the separation of Hawke and Casteel is all about, like I understand that he was lying and everything but why do people treat them like two separate characters? His chemistry with Poppy was more believable for me in this one over the other. Armentrout made a big deal of having her give a whole speech about how she didn't love him just cause he was the only guy she's ever really been allowed to know, but you can't help but wonder about that. Huge age differences like this in fantasy are a pretty uncomfortable and weird to justify, but they hit well with the bookish community. 

I read this cause everyone absolutely loves the series, and it was definitely entertaining. It had a lot of flags though that would prevent me from listing Hawke as any kind of ideal character though. It was definitely entertaining though and I'll probably read the next. I especially appreciate that we're getting background on Poppy's chosen one trope, it'll be great to explore the full extent of her powers. I said that the first book was way too focused on sex, this one was better with that though there were more than necessary. I don't know if I really have to give a recommendation or not since it's so popular, but I think it's good to stay in the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...