Thursday, December 24, 2020

Book Review: A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1)

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)

A Darker Shade of Magic

V.E. Schwab

4/5

I have no idea why I waited so long to read this book. I think that the idea of parallel universes usually freaks me out because they get so complicated, but this is a completely different kind of parallel universe. Three Londons (technically four), all completely different cities but built on the same foundation. Only the Antari can travel from one city to the other and they aren't supposed to carry any items between these cities. Kell has been raised in Red London as a prince though he knows this is only because of his unique powers. He accidentally transports an artifact that he shouldn't and sets of a dangerous sequence of events. 

The world building is immaculate, not only is it set in the nineteenth century (usually my favorite century to read in) there are three completely different worlds. They're all tied together in weird ways though, adding to the complexity and brilliance of it all. I honestly was surprised by how much I liked it given I had DNFed it after like fifty pages or so a couple of years ago. Kell and Lila are both great characters in their own ways too. Lila isn't traditional but she doesn't go out of her way to prove her uniqueness either. I respect her, she reminds me a lot of Vin from Mistborn in that rugged yet sophisticated way. 

It did drag a little at parts when it skipped to random other POVs. I think that's the main reason I stopped reading it so long ago. Even considering that I was still pretty invested the whole time. I would definitely recommend it, V.E. Schwab really doesn't seem to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...