Saturday, December 19, 2020

Book Review: The Wish Collector

The Wish Collector

The Wish Collector

Mia Sheridan

2/5

Advertised as a contemporary and loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast, this book follows the story of Clara and Jonah as they both struggle to recover from their respective dilemmas in life. As a retelling and just as romance, I was pretty disappointed. If this had been another Kindle Unlimited book, maybe I would've been expecting less, but the way that people were talking about it I thought it'd be better. 

I try to be nice in my reviews and usually when I finish a book there's something about it that keeps me going. It just felt so forced. Not only was the romance forced and weird- there was some kind of age difference there that's never specified and I don't know the power dynamic and Clara's servitude was just so weird- but the whole central conflict was all based on misconceptions? It felt like so much extra time was taken to just be like, the protagonist is bad but not bad because there were so many lies and really other people that have no part in this story will serve as the real villains. 

Not to spoil it, this book has a lot of good ratings and it obviously just wasn't something for me. It felt stunted but I can get the appeal cause I finished reading it. I wouldn't recommend it but it was a quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...