Monday, November 30, 2020

Murder in the Bowery (Gaslight Mystery #20)

Murder in the Bowery (Gaslight Mystery, #20)

Murder in the Bowery

Victoria Thompson

4/5

Victoria Thompson never fails to amaze me with the depth and breadth of her writing. I learn something new with every book I read- though I am sure to fact check it because I know that historical fiction is no place to form historical standpoints. In this one, she takes us into the bowery and introduces us to the concept of "slumming". She also gave a feature to the newsies protest, something that I think was very popularized by the musical so it was super interesting to see it in this setting and get perspectives from the everyday (albeit fictionalized) citizen. 

I cannot stress enough how much I love Frank and Sarah together. I completely understand that it takes so many books to get to anything between them, but it was done in a way that only strengthened their relationship. Every element of this universe comes together to form such a comprehensive story. Maybe everything isn't totally realistic on its own, but it's all so creatively woven into something that could happen. 

The only problem I had this one was with the predictability. I saw it coming and it didn't shock me, felt a bit recycled. I think that's fair, private detectives and cops won't investigate cases that are all super original. I just have an incredibly high standard for the mysteries in this series and I expect a lot. It was still an entertaining read though and I cannot recommend the series strongly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...