Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Book Review: Vicious (Villains #1)

Vicious (Villains, #1)
Vicious
V.E. Schwab
4/5

Victor is obsessed with being the best and when his friend suggests that he could gain ExtraOrdinary powers by a near death experience, he doesn't waste much time literally killing himself. The progression of events isn't chronological, I was sure I knew who the villain was at first but as events were revealed I found myself shifting sides.

I know that this book was good, maybe that's why I don't have a lot to say about it. I couldn't believe the progression of their arc, like I said I was sure I knew who the villain was until I suddenly didn't anymore. I like anti-heroes but I'm also looking for their to be a clearly identified hero and villain, Victor Vale kind of falls in the middle.

I'd recommend it for fans of science-fiction and urban fantasy. It's V.E. Schwab's first "adult" book and she really did well transitioning into the genre. I'm excited to read the sequel but I also like how she wrote it as a potential standalone. I felt like it was a little rushed at the end- a lot of planning for the midnight meeting to go the way it did but it was still ok. Still a lot of potential for a great sequel though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...