Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Book Review: Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger #2)

Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)
Rage and Ruin
Jennifer L. Armentrout
3/5

A high 3/5, but I was kind of disappointed in this sequel. I loved Storm and Fury and so honestly I let my expectations get ahead of me. Trinity really went through it in the last book, she's lost most of the people who she thought cared for her. She has Zayne but not in the ways she really wants to have him. She's facing the inevitability of a complete apocalypse and has been told that she's really the only one who can stop it. So it's kind of a stressful time for her.

Nephilim isn't a super unique topic, I feel like I've read it a lot in YA but probably just my fixation on the shadowhunters. I don't let that stop me from enjoying a book though, especially if there are cool twists like the irony of her degrading eyesight. The book started off strong because we love a supportive male antagonist. He wasn't doing it for any reason either, he was going through his own stuff but still wanted to make sure she was ok given everything she was going through and everything she had lost. Unfortunately, the plot line of their romance was riddled with unnecessary bouts of irrational jealously and just straight anger. Then after all that anger, the resolution felt rushed and kind of unfounded.

What really got me was the ending, which I won't spoil. I saw it coming from a mile away though the foreshadowing was just way too literal. I read a line about a hundred pages from the end and I knew exactly what was going to go down. The last couple of lines confused me a bit but like not to the point where I was losing my mind. It just felt kind of lackluster compared to how much I loved the first book in this series.

I'll still recommend this series because it's fun and the first book is so much better than the second. I just hope that the next book pulls it all together because I'm honestly just too disappointed right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...