Monday, August 10, 2020

Book Review: Real Men Knit

Real Men Knit

Real Men Knit 

Kwana Jackson

4/5

This was either a really high 3 or a low 4 for me, I think I liked the main female protagonist enough for it to make it over that hump though. After working at a knitting shop with her good friend and mother figure Mama Joy for most of her life, Mama Joy's sudden passing leaves the shop and Kerry Fuller without clear direction. She and Mama Joy's other three sons are shocked when Jesse decides he wants to continue the family legacy by keeping the shop open. He can't do that without Kerry's help though as she's the one who knows how things were done there. 

I liked that it was all about family. All four of the brothers were adopted out of the foster care system and raised by Mama Joy and were able to rise above the circumstances that their earlier childhood's placed them into. I also just loved the message about knitting, so many of my guy friends won't knit because they see it as something too feminine and that's just toxic. I thought it was kind of ridiculous that the four boys she adopted all sprouted into super hot guys who were over six-feet tall but I'll let it slide as she placed them into roles that they'd typically be judged for. 

The romance felt a little rushed considering the premise of it. She had been in love with him since high school, I'm pretty sure he was too, but they never really talked about that fundamental part of their relationship. I thought it was sweet how his family was so defensive of her, but the "player" role was emphasized a little too much for Jesse. I know he tried to right his wrong and that was an intrinsic piece of his transition towards a responsible shop owner, but they didn't have to demonize him so much for it he wasn't that bad. 

That sounds like I'm roasting it a lot but honestly it was a pretty sweet book. It was short, easy to get through, and though the romance wasn't the strongest it was pretty important beyond the romantic element. I'd recommend it if you're just a big fan of contemporary comeback stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...