Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Book Review: The Deep

The Deep
The Deep
Rivers Solomon
4/5

Definitely different from any other book I've read on mermaids, The Deep provides a historically poignant look on merpeople. I loved the premise, I love most books that have historical facts that I didn't deeply consider prior to reading the book. I remember how angry I was when I was like ten and watched the Animal Planet documentary on mermaids only to find out at the end that it was all fake. This is a much more artful portrayal of deep-sea dwellers.

The criticisms I had with it were related to the story's pacing. I couldn't connect with the story because of the cuts, I didn't feel enough cohesion. I think that might be a personal preference for straightforwardness, it really wasn't as confusing as a lot of books I've read. I do appreciate that there wasn't needless explanations of the magic of the ocean, a lot of fell to the suspension of disbelief and the general hope that the abominations of slave trade could have had some small miracle.

If you like mermaids, which I always have, I think this is a great read. The author's note at the end really sold me, this story has gone through a lot before making it to this format. It's a super short read that really leaves you wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...