Sunday, June 7, 2020

Book Review: Beasts Made of Night (Beasts Made of Night #1)

Beasts Made of Night (Beasts Made of Night, #1)
Beasts Made of Night
Tochi Onyebuchi
3/5

In a world where people pay to have their sins removed, the aki who remove those sins are on the bottom-tier. Taj is the most powerful of those aki and is sick of being treated like dirt. He is summoned to work in the palace and finally is placed in a position where he can try to make a difference.

The premise of it was really good. The tattoos were cool, the powers were cool, the fight scenes not so much. I had some problems following it all, it felt sporadic and wasn't keeping my attention. I also felt like Taj transitioned too quickly, the book somehow was moving very fast but felt like it was moving very slowly. He was in the palace then just decided to go to the training grounds then was back in the palace and I didn't really get his reasoning as to why.

It was good for the overarching plot, but the world-building could have been better. I think I'll still read the sequel someday because I liked the idea of it, I don't know though because the characters didn't make a huge impact on me. It was ok it just could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...