Sunday, June 7, 2020

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha #1)

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
Children of Blood and Bone
Tomi Adeyemi
4/5

I kind of got Avatar vibes from this one? Maybe it's just because I've been rewatching the show, but it'd be great to hear if anyone else felt that way. Zélie has spent her whole life being called maggot after watching her mother brutally murdered on the streets. Her mother was murdered for a magic that she no longer possessed, a magic that Zélie has an opportunity to bring back.

I really liked the characters in this book. I feel like when I'm getting more than two points of view I automatically want at least one of them to go away. I think it was well executed and gave you unique perspectives, though I felt bad that Tzain didn't get his word in and I'd like him to have his own chapters in the sequel.

The plot flowed pretty well with great separation in scenes which made it much easier to follow. The book is over 500 pages but it honestly didn't feel too long. It annoyed me a little that Zélie was being blamed for getting everyone killed. Like she followed her instinct, and though it got her into trouble I think that it always panned out okay.

The thing that kept me from giving it five stars was the romance. I'm a big fan of enemies-to-lovers romances, it's one of my favorite tropes so I immediately wanted Inan and Zélie to be together. I feel like they both gave into it too quickly but simultaneously it wasn't really dealt with on a wider scale. Maybe because no one but their siblings really knew about it? I don't know it just felt very incomplete to me. Tzain and Amari just didn't have enough interactions for me to get behind it, I can see the potential though.

Overall, amazing read and I'd totally recommend it. I've been kind of away from YA fantasy for a bit because I haven't been able to find my groove there, this one was an easy read though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...