Thursday, June 11, 2020

Book Review: Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery #10)

Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
Murder on Bank Street
Victoria Thompson
3/5

I had the longest wait out of any books in the series for this one and maybe it was how long I waited for it, but it just didn't hit as hard as the others. After nine books and four whole years, Sarah is finally delving deeper into the mystery of who viciously murdered her husband and it's not looking good. With the possibility of tarnishing his memory and thinking about the safety of her adopted daughter, her nursemaid Maeve offers to step in and investigate. 

I've been waiting nine books, now ten, for Malloy and Sarah to get together and like I think it's some excellent build-up to it. But I'm not waiting nine books to read Maeve's point of view. I understand her relevance and why she's mentioned so much and I even like her character but I'm not reading Malloy and Sarah's story for huge asides into her amateur detective career. It's cool when Sarah does it but like Maeve's 17 and I don't like people encroaching on the turf of the main character this late into the game. 

That being said, I'm obviously not going to stop reading these books and I didn't think the mystery here was bad. I just think it was a lot of build-up to end with Maeve like this. I'm still recommending the series, this one was just kind of boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...