Monday, June 1, 2020

Book Review: Mustang Wild (Wild #1)

Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
Mustang Wild
Stacey Kayne
3/5

I swear, someone needs to take my Kindle away cause I'm down the rabbit-hole of the western romance genre and I have zero regrets. Skylar Daines has been dressing as a boy for a good portion of her life to help her father tame horses. That's pretty cool, but she's sick of all the lying and of the nomadic lifestyle they've been living and demands better. She thinks she's going to get it until her father is murdered in a mutinous scheme. To try to save some piece of that future, she seeks out her father's business partner and finds his twin brother- whom she immediately accidentally marries.

I didn't mind Tucker as a character all that much. He was okay, and I do appreciate that both the brothers came to appreciate her skills. I wish she didn't want to be a wife and mother so much, since she's such a cool and prospectively independent character. The entirety of the plot was pretty simple and straightforward aside from her skill, so you can see why I wanted more.

I like the marriage of convenience trope, this one didn't really convince me it could have been all that accidental. It went against Skylar's later established character for her to make such an impulsive and forced decision. I didn't like that part and I didn't like how long they went back and forth between hating and loving each other. That's the typical problem I have with romances in the enemies-to-lovers categories and might just be my own impatience.

If you like simple western romances, which is really all I have the mental capacity for right now, then this is a perfect read for you. There's nothing all that problematic, it's not entirely clean but it doesn't have those awkwardly intense sex scenes either. It's pretty much middle of the road on all fronts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...