Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Book Review: The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides #1)

The Bride Wore Spurs
The Bride Wore Spurs
Sharon Ihle
3/5

This book had a lot of good moments, but it really barely made three stars for me. It follows Lacey, a young woman fresh to Wyoming and really fresh to the real world in general. She has spent her entire childhood in an insane asylum after the death of her parents. As such, she is still prone to spells in which she completely dissociates from the world. She wants to live though, and is hoping that getting away and getting married with her only friend as mail-order brides will solve it all. Her new husband doesn't want her at first, it was just done as an afterthought by his neighbor. Despite all of her shortcomings, he's soon convinced that it could have been a good idea.

The annoying part of it all was how much build-up there was for such little revelations. Lacey's condition is hyped up the entire novel and then at the end it's solved with a few sentences. The entire main conflict of the book is also wrapped up in a few sentences- was it that easy to get away with stuff in Wyoming? Probably, but it felt weird and rushed to me. It also kind of annoyed me how totally useless Lacey was at points. I get that she was raised in a sheltered environment, though I would have expected her to have been forced to learn more tasks at the asylum considering her relative competency. But she couldn't do literally anything at first. I don't know, it was just very annoying.

Hawke was okay but he felt a little too forceful for my taste. He said he was going to be gentle or whatever and then he was like this is my god-given right. He didn't want to get married and all of the sudden he was just all in? Again, it felt like there was a lot of waffling at first and then no bridge into the actual event, just diving straight in. I didn't hate it at all, it entertained me and I finished it very quickly, it just wasn't all that special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...