Saturday, May 9, 2020

Book Review: Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)

Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
Master and Apprentice
Claudia Gray
4/5

I've never been a Star Wars fan, not sure if I really want to call myself that even now because people will straight come after me for it. Watching the movies though, I've always felt like there were a lot of plot holes. I feel that way with a lot of movies though, I feel like you can't just read a ton of books then be satisfied with the lack of exposition which books provide. People think that's snobby but I'm not trying to say that movies all sucks, I love movies they can just be difficult for me.

That being said, this book provides a lot of the background that I feel like I missed. I kind of see Star Wars as more of a fantasy series than a sci-fi series. They're in space for sure, but there's so much wild magical stuff happening. I don't know it's confusing because it has a weird vibe for me where it won't ever concretely fit in either category. I loved the political intrigue in this one though, it felt like an extended episode of the Clone Wars where we could really get into the character's heads.

Some of the progression was a little dry, that would be my only criticism. That could be on me, I don't typically read books like this I'm not a focused enough person. It did get me feeling really emotional though, I wish Qui-Gon hadn't died so early on in the series because he really could have been a great character. I loved Pax and Rahara their arcs were super interesting and I think they deserved more. I think Star Wars should spend more time outside of the novels focusing on characters outside of those related to the original trilogy, there are so many opportunities for great characters like them.

If you like Star Wars, I'd totally recommend this one. It was recommended to me as a great place to start if you want to get into reading the books because it's early on and gives a lot of background. I also love Claudia Gray so that made it a lot easier to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...