Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Book Review: Crush the King (Crown of Shards #3)

Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)
Crush the King
Jennifer Estep
5/5

I loved this book and I loved this entire series. I think it's rare that you see a trilogy fit together so cohesively, that you see a character grow so beautifully from the beginning of the series to the end of the series. It's even rarer that you see an author name-drop the names of all the books in the series in the final series- which I loved.

Evie was discarded and ignored but she was stronger than anyone knew, with more potential than anyone could have expected. From being thrown off a cliff in the first book through gladiator battles and battles of wit, she's done it all. I can't express how proud of her journey I am, it was honestly an amazing ride from start to finish and I'm so glad that I got to watch it happen.

The only problem I had here was how Sullivan's part was so shrunken. I get that the last book was largely dedicated to their relationship and that I had issues with that, but I would prefer a better balance. He had literally three lines in this one, not even the obligatory rehashing of her backstory which she had never given him. I get it, it's all about Evie's own personal strength and her evolution into who she became, but I missed their banter.

I would strongly recommend this series, it's not YA, it could maybe be called NA but it's probably more of an Adult novel. The fantasy element, the monarchy element, everything is beautifully developed and you really won't regret reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...