Saturday, February 8, 2020

Book Review: RISE (Rise #1)

RISE (Rise, #1)
Rise
J.M. Kearl
3/5

This is another Kindle Unlimited book that has good cover art so I really appreciate it for that. There are two kingdoms who have had conflict for decades, Hesstia and Delmar. Daelyn has lived in Hesstia her entire life and been taught to fear Delmar and abhor magic, though she doesn't share the sentiment on magic since her mother has been practicing it her entire life. The book follows her and several other characters as they navigate the tensions of the nations.

It had a lot of positives. I generally liked Daelyn and thought she had the potential to be a great protagonist. Unfortunately, I feel as though all of the other POVs detracted from how good of a character she was on her own. There was too much going on for me to really fall in love with any of the characters. The style of writing wasn't what I typically go for either because too much was being given away. If the author is telling us exactly how people feel or why something is happening, I don't feel like I'm taking as much away and nothing is really surprising me. I also just hate Madison and wish she had gotten less page-time, anyone who hits their child and has no remorse for it is not a redeemable character to me.

There is potential in the series, like I still want to read forward to know what becomes of all of them. I do hope that there are less random storylines in the future, and that the characters stop telling me directly how they feel and why they feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...