Monday, February 3, 2020

Book Review: A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #1)

A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
A Natural History of Dragons
Marie Brennan
3/5

A Natural History of Dragons is different from any book which I've ever read. Imagine a novel that's kind of regency era, a woman who is trying to be a scientist in a period where women are not allowed to do much, but she wants to be a natural scientist who studies dragons. There are illustrations!! We get to see Lady Trent actually do her research, it's a memoir but of a scientist who studies dragons and that makes it like the coolest thing ever.

That being said, I had issues with the general progression of the book. There were so many boring parts where I felt like nothing was happening, then bam, the last twenty pages her life changed completely and everything was different. It's a short read, only like 320 pages, but it had so many of those lulls that there were times I had to force myself to pick it back up. Maybe if it wasn't dragons, if the illustrations and the cover weren't so beautiful, I may have DNFed it. Fortunately though, I love dragons and I do love the narrative which Lady Trent chose to adopt. It really combined two of my favorite things- dragons and regency- so I don't know how I couldn't at least kind of like it.

I don't know if I'll continue on the series, just because of the lulls, but it's a very interesting concept and a fairly easy book to get through. It's not a romance though, so don't be fooled by that, though there is a romantic pair they don't get a lot of focus. Would be more of a book for people who either love dragons or love funny fiction books pretending to be non-fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...