Monday, February 24, 2020

Book Review: Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane #8)

Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
Dearest Rogue
Elizabeth Hoyt
3/5

The cover of this book is so cringy and I'm like embarrassed to have it on my blog but it really shows that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover! Or just that I make too many assumptions about these kinds of books, there really was a beautiful story-line aside from the romance. Phoebe Batten is blind and the sister of a duke, as such she has basically no freedom. Captain Trevillion is the man in charge of keeping her safe from everything to staircases to kidnappers- and she gets kidnapped quite a few times so be ready.

I like heroines who deal with tragedy and come out stronger because of it. Phoebe is blind and it's so sad but she honestly takes it so well. She's never really complaining, I mean she is in some ways but honestly who wouldn't complain more about her situation. She's pretty likable as a character because she doesn't really whine and she's so compassionate about others. Not to the point of stupidity though, I find that authors in this genre sometimes have a difficult time drawing the line, but Phoebe is honestly pretty ideal.

I took some stars off just because of the actually "evil" element of the plot. I understand why it was used as a motivator, Phoebe and Captain Trevillion would not have interacted as much as they did if it weren't for an imminent threat. But the actual danger part felt very weak and half-baked, it didn't feel all that sinister.

That being said, I feel like Phoebe finding her voice as the strong woman that she is what a good plot in itself. I didn't like all the extra stuff that was piled on top of that, but it doesn't change that I really do love her character. Would recommend for regency romance fans, it's cliche but with the added intrigue of her trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...