Saturday, February 22, 2020

Book Review: An Alaskan Christmas

An Alaskan Christmas (Wild River #1)
An Alaskan Christmas
Jennifer Snow
3/5

This was a straight Hallmark movie of a book and, for the most part, it was pretty cute. Though bold move calling the book an Alaskan Christmas and then only giving Christmas like two pages. Erika is a workaholic surgeon who doesn't know how to have fun, like to the point of being a complete and total snob who I hated for the first fifty pages. Reed is also kind of a workaholic, also kind of snob, but it's kind of excused here cause he doesn't make a ton of money? Thought that was a little annoying but like whatever I got what the book was going for.

It also had that whole boy-next-door thing going for it that Hallmark movies love to exploit- her best friend has an older brother who got hot while she was gone and now she can totally see herself with him. Less superficial than a Hallmark movie only because we're in their heads and we see a little more justification, but still, they were only together for like a week before they were in love.

I sound like I'm roasting it, but I read these books for a reason and I love them. The biggest issues I had here were how many sex scenes there were and how quick the ending was. I didn't expect it to be quite so graphic and irrelevant to the plot, like it got kind of gross and I was just trying to flip through it all as fast as possible. The ending also felt kind of inorganic, there was an incident and I hate when stuff like that is used to push the plot through, makes it feel cheap.

Not bad for a romance of this variety, deeper than it could have been but not quite deep enough on the emotional front. Cute though and not totally horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...