Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Book Review: Wyrd Blood (Wyrd Blood #1)

Wyrd Blood
Wyrd Blood
Donna Augustine
4/5

I think that this is an entertaining book. It has all the best elements of a story for me, though there were some times when it didn't a hundred percent hit the mark. Bugs is starving and in a last attempt to save her crew from total starvation, she decides to rob a whole country and very quickly gets caught. Ryker has been looking for her though because she is a wyrd blood, she has magic and her natural ability for it marks her at the top of the magic food chain. She's untrained though, so to really reach her potential she needs to work with Ryker and wow shocker they have a lot of romantic tension.

The cover is bad, I acknowledge this and I really wish that there weren't all these great books on Kindle Unlimited literally limited by their covers. This cover is better than the one on Kindle, and that's really saying something. But the content is good, like I said there are certain cliches but it's what I wanted from the book and I liked the character. Though there were some issues with Bugs, I think it's understandable given the trauma of her past. I also want everyone around her to commit more to calling her Bugs, like, that's her name and yet hardly anyone ever uses it.

Another minor issue was how similar it was to Donna Augustine's other series. That goes along with it being cliche, but I started reading it and it reminded me of her other series and then I realized that it was the same author and it all made sense. I don't think it's really a major issue, it's just something that strikes me as potentially problematic.

I think I'd recommend it if you're into like slowburn romances and the whole chosen-one plot. I like that and so I was satisfied with everything that was happening but there haven't been any surprises that make it unique yet. I'm looking forward to more individuality in the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...