Sunday, January 12, 2020

Book Review: Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries #1)

Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #1)
Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark
Victoria Hamilton
3/5

I could almost give this book four stars, because despite how annoying the Marquess was as a main character, there were moments when I was really shocked by how much I liked it. These moments, like I said, were lessened by moments when I was just really angry about everything that was happening and so upon reflection, I think three stars is where this one should be. Lady Anne is the daughter of an earl, she has decided on spinsterhood not due to lack of options, though she does make it a point of calling herself plain, but because she has the money and familial support to do so. She rushes to her friend, Lydia, after receiving a letter that made it sound like her life was falling apart only four months after being married. She was supposed to marry Lydia's older brother at one point, and feels responsible for her.

Lydia is beyond stupid, like I understand that could just be her character, but it felt like she was being used to make Anne seem smarter and more perceptive. I could have done without the constant reminder that there's literally nothing going on in her head but whatever. Considering her letter and her marriage problems motivated the start of the novel, she was hardly mentioned really at all. She was kind of too stupid to even deserve that much notice.

I did think that Anne was very clever, there were elements when the mystery could have been fleshed out more but I do think it was a pretty decent investigation all around. I also appreciated that she stuck to her perspective from the beginning of the book, she didn't majorly change her opinion on relationships or morals, it could be set up for the next couple of books being a gradual shift, but she is who she is and that's very admirable. The Marquess was not as good of a character for me, mainly because he felt like a pretty rational guy and then used that way overused tactic on getting girls to shut up- pulling them into for unsolicited kisses. He didn't stop after he was punched the first time either, he did it like three times and it was annoying and not called for. That really was the main reason why this book lost a star for me.

Overall though I liked it. I don't think the second book is in the library so I don't know if I'll be able to read on, but I see a lot of potential for where it could all go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...