Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Book Review: Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove #1)

Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
Serpent & Dove
Shelby Mahurin
4/5

It's that cliche we hate to love from regency type pieces- someone's caught in a compromising position and they're forced to get married. There's a twist in this one though, they get married to save the man's reputation. It's a kind of twisted France, there's the typical structure with a head of church but the head of church is also a trained soldier who has pledged to kill all of witch-kind.

Our female protagonist, Lou, is a witch. She's loud, she's crass, and she's hiding something that she is deathly afraid of. Reid is a Chasseur, he is one of those that serves his country eradicating the witches. When they're forced to marry each other, without him knowing that she's a witch of course, you can see how that could become an issue. I loved their interactions, though there wasn't enough of a progression from pure hatred to true love for me. In a lot of ways, it felt like a romance of convenience rather than an actual connection, which is somewhat problematic for me in a book which focuses so heavily on romance.

I liked it though, I liked the universe and I liked the way it ended. It set it up perfectly for the next book without making me go crazy. I would totally recommend this one and I can't wait to see where the series goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...