Thursday, January 30, 2020

Book Review: The Will and the Wilds

The Will and the Wilds
The Will and the Wilds
Charlie N. Holmberg
4/5

I would like to start by saying that Kindle Unlimited books that have aesthetically pleasing covers are my favorite thing. I understand the restraints that can accompany authors who publish on Kindle Unlimited, but thank you Charlie Holmberg for providing me with a cover that I like on my blog. That being said, I enjoyed the actual content of the book as well. Enna has spent her entire life fearing the Mystings, using a charm secured for her by a father who lost his sanity retrieving it. When a Mysting threatens them and the promise of more accompanies it, Enna decides that she has to make a deal with one to guarantee their safety. Enter Maekallus, a Mysting who steals people's souls, the obvious solution to all problems.

I think it was well-written, with a very well-defined plot. As a standalone, it had a beautiful arc from start to finish because it actually made sense the whole way through. I will say that the ending was a little lackluster for me, I don't know if I like it when something tragic happens then there's a time jump then it's all resolved. The time jump just feels like a cheap way to give the characters closure. It reminds me of the problems that I had last year with House of Salt and Sorrows, both are respectively good reads, I just wish that there had been better closure at the end.

You won't regret reading this one, especially if you're doing so through Kindle Unlimited. I haven't read Holmberg's other work but I'm considering it after this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...