Friday, September 20, 2019

Book Review: Onyx (Lux #2)

Onyx (Lux, #2)
Onyx
Jennifer L. Armentrout
4/5

I have a TBR list a mile long but I somehow ended up finishing this book first, it's so addicting. The cover is horrible, the newer cover I've seen is a lot better, but like it looks like a trashy paranormal novel. It's paranormal, there are a lot of trashy and cliche elements, but I think that the author tried to work outside the box. I compared the first one to Twilight and while it does have those same general elements, Katy is much more independent and thoughtful than Bella could have ever been. I think many people have collectively agreed that Twilight is peak paranormal trash, this one has a lot more plot to it and makes a lot more sense. Perfect those people too scared to admit that there were some good parts of Twilight. 

Not to say that Katy doesn't make stupid decisions. The book was spoiled by all the characters telling Katy not to do stupid things, and then by us watching her do precisely that stupid thing. Armentrout was obviously working to build a strong and independent character, sometimes people are just super stupid though. I appreciate that Daemon was much less wishy-washy in this one, honestly I think that boosted it a star for me. I'm glad that he committed, his character was a lot more likable when he wasn't spending hundreds of pages trying to convince her that he didn't like her.

Onyx isn't the best book I've ever read, I still stand by the fact that Storm and Fury is much better and I'm glad that Armentrout has grown as an author. But simultaneously, it's super fun and super bingeworthy and I have no regrets whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...