Sunday, September 22, 2019

Book Review: Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms #3)

Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms, #3)
Gathering Darkness
Morgan Rhodes
3/5

I feel like this series has been a solid three stars so far just because of how many uninteresting parts are mixed in. The plot is super cool, we have magic and we have evil and romance and all the great elements of an epic fantasy. It's not quite as intense as an epic fantasy, but it still has those great plot points. I think at this point I would like it better if we just cut Jonah and Lysandra out of the story, or their POVs out because honestly they've just been so boring to me. I know that they have importance I just take like five times longer to read their chapters than Cleo and Magnus and even Lucia.

This series is compared to Game of Thrones a lot, I kind of see it but also it's much less convoluted. That being said, I don't really think the writing is anywhere close to on-par with GoT. There are points where it feels awkward and just clumsy, it has gotten better from the first book though. I'm looking forward to the next three books because everyone has told me that the second half of the series is much better than the first.

The romance is like kind of love-hate for me. Alexei and Lucia are a big no for me, I don't really like fantasy age differences like that but I especially hate it when he was like oh I watched her grow up- that's just straight creepy. Magnus and Cleo are heating up which I'm here for, but I also feel as though I should hate Magnus because he has done some real trash things. I need for him to just pick a side so I can definitively hate him or like him since I'm so on the fence. I love Cleo, at some points I feel like she's the only reason I keep reading. I'm loving her character development and I really need her to be happy or I'll explode.

I don't know if I'd recommend the whole series to anyone, just because of the writing technique and the long stretches of boring, but I'm still going on. Again, I've heard the last half is better so we'll see if I fall in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...