Monday, July 15, 2019

Book Review: An Enchantment of Ravens

An Enchantment of Ravens

An Enchantment of Ravens
Margaret Rogerson
3/5

Overview

I'm super biased and I tend to rate books heavily on how much I like the ending, and the ending of this book just left me confused. This book came out a couple of years ago, a lot of people compared it to SJM and ACOTAR, but honestly just cause it's fey doesn't mean it's SJM. The fey in this book felt a lot closer to The Iron Fey to me, like less emotion and more involved with their blatant lack of emotion.

It was cute though, not a lot of explanations on the magic and much more all about the tragedy of forbidden love. That's something interesting and entertaining in itself, but I would have preferred if I had been given a more thorough explanation of the universe. It may not have been the most original plot yet there was a refreshing honesty to the characters. Like the fact that the main characters had a whole scene where they discussed her zit was pretty fun to me. I liked that it wasn't instant love, there wasn't a lot of superfluous declarations of love and loyalty, and there were many points in which they questioned the reality of their situation. In those respects, Rogerson gave us a pretty crisp and beautiful love story.

Questions (Spoilers!)

The ending? I'm confused, she's the queen now but she isn't fey? That felt super rushed and just not very well explained, it would probably work better if there had been a couple more chapters. I don't like it when epilogues are like five minutes later, especially when the matter of their marriage and subsequent secession is just now unaddressed. This book had the potential, at least from my perspective, to have a higher rating if these things had been fully addressed. I love a good standalone, it makes it much easier to stay involved until the end, however I also prefer that the standalone answers the most relevant questions. If I missed it, let me know, but I think it's just supposed to be implied?

Would I Recommend?

It's cute, it's short, it's a standalone. I wasn't super invested in it, the characters weren't especially unique or striking to me and I felt like the ending was obvious. If you like drama and being on the edge of your seat worrying about your OTP, this probably isn't the book for you. If you want to see a cute perspective on the fey with a cut and dry romance, this would be a nice way to spend an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...