Sunday, July 14, 2019

Book Review: The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor Circle #3)

The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)

The Traitor's Kingdom
Erin Beaty
5/5

Overview

This book was so hard for me to finish, not because it was bad or DNF in any way, but because I love the universe and the main characters so much. When I first started this series last year, I couldn't believe that I had never heard of it before. Looking at the series from the beginning to the end, it's unbelievable that it could be so cohesive yet simultaneously, such divergence from the original content. The character growth is also insane, Sage from the first book to now is almost completely different and yet she maintained the strength and integrity which made me originally love her so much. Also, props to Beaty for going so hard on the whole Sage-thing, her name matching so many color and prop elements.

A lot of books use conflicts with foreign nations and wars and treachery to define their plots. This book defines the politics of the situation a lot more than any other book that I've ever read in Young Adult. Like they attend peace debates, but it's not all boring peace talks, it's intrigue and secrecy and combat, exciting yet realistic. I hate it when books get straight to the fighting without even considering the implications. Not to say that there is a lack of action in this series, we all remember the battle which ended the second book, and Sage and Alex continue to deal with the implications of that battle throughout this novel. Character death exists in this series, but it means something to the characters and it continues to be central to the plot.

The romance in this universe is some of my favorite of all time. The original premise of the series is the whole concept of matchmakers, but not like ok this person will be with that person because it'll strengthen everyone politically, there's an intense network of matchmakers who watch the girls and boys from every point in their lives and then decides who makes the best political and emotional match. Horrible people get horrible matches if the matchmakers are involved, or no matches at all, and there's a justice in that which perpetuates through the series. Though there is inequality with the treatment of women in this system, and that continues to be a subtopic which is addressed through each book. I do appreciate the strength which women are given that you don't often see in fantasy novels with regency elements like this one. And ultimately with the main romance, Alex and Sage matched themselves together, they grew together, they come together when they both felt that it was the right thing to do.

The ending was perfect! I loved every part of it and I'm so happy that everyone got what they deserved in the end. Though, I will say that I didn't really like Lani and Clare in this book that much. I feel like they were pettier than they could have been, I understand their perspectives but I also believe that in times of such high stress, they could have been a little more accommodating. I don't like the ending for Clare, I don't think I would want that in my country, I'll accept it though.

Would I Recommend?

100 percent! In my opinion, this is one of the best YA series out there. It's not built on two characters alone, yet it still has that individualized element that makes you fall in love with them. I'm sad that this is the ending, but I am so beyond satisfied with everything that has happened. Sage and Alex will always hold a special place in my heart. Also, all the covers are so aesthetic that you could honestly just read it for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...