Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Book Review: Darkest Moon (Shadow Guild #1)

Darkest Moon (Shadow Guild: Wolf Queen #1) 

Darkest Moon

Linsey Hall

Overall: 2/5

Plot and themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing style: 2/5

Attention-grabbing: 2/5

Darkest Moon is a complicated book to place, it's the first book in its series but its incredibly interwoven into a broader universe that gets referenced literally every five minutes. I haven't read all the other books, but I could feel the direction of the hints and everything. That could be a positive, but I feel like it could also be a negative if you really only care for the contents of this book. 

I had the same problem with this one as I have with some of the other books I've read, they're just too instant. At points it feels like I'm reading the diatribe of a toddler, or a bad fanfiction writer, where it goes "well maybe it's like this because it's like that and yes that makes sense it's like this". It just feels way too connected and not natural in the flow of events. 

I don't know how I feel about the romance, ambivalent? All in all I was really only invested in the explanation of her parenthood or magic and I don't even know if I would get that in the sequel. It's a quick and easy read but it's also not very gratifying.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...