Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Book Review: Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist #1)

Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1) 

Flame in the Mist 

Renée Ahdieh

Overall: 3/5

Plot and themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing style: 4/5

Attention-grabbing: 3/5

Flame in the Mist is the first book in a YA fantasy romance series. I've been holding off on reading it because I wasn't a big fan of The Wrath and the Dawn, the first book I read by Ahdieh. But I definitely think this one was a lot more fun and creative. It's about a girl, Mariko, who survives an assassination attempt on the way to her wedding. She wants revenge, so she dresses up like a boy to infiltrate the group that tried to kill her. 

It's very basic and predictable in many ways and ultimately leaves the impression of enjoyable but forgettable. I didn't mind anything about it but I don't think it's super distinguishable from any of the recent enemies-to-lover style fantasy romances. The different perspectives should have added depth but they maybe just confused the narrative. I was completely checked out during Kenshin's chapters and had gotten a little bored by the big reveal. It's not the worst ever, it definitely had its moments, but it was a little repetitive. 

I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel, but I had a good time with what was here and it's not super long or anything. Would probably be better for someone more into YA.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...