Thursday, September 30, 2021

Book Review: The Portrait of a Scarred Duke

The Portrait of a Scarred Duke: A Historical Regency Romance Novel 

The Portrait of a Scarred Duke

Patricia Haverton 

Overall: 2/5

Plot and themes: 2/5

Characters: 1/5

Writing style: 2/5

Attention-grabbing: 2/5

I was in the serious mood for a regency romance and this book really just did not deliver what I was looking for. The Duke of Worthwood needs a portrait painted, a complicated endeavor for a man with a face like his. When his primary artist gets sick, he endorses the artist's daughter as the proper replacement. But the more time he spends with her, the more he comes to see her goodness and think that she maybe could be more than just his artist. 

It's bland, and that's on me for not recognizing it and reading it straight through. I wanted to give it a proper chance but it was dull all the way through. I think it had a decent starting premise but that there wasn't enough real conflict to give the book any substance. We didn't even really get the conflict of heart as the duke had to make the decision to marry for love rather than position. I don't really think a commoner could marry a duke with as little fuss as what was created through their match. So it wasn't authentic to the period and it was just disappointing. 

It wasn't the worst regency romance I've ever read and maybe I'm being too harsh on it, I just didn't find it super entertaining or enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...