Monday, July 5, 2021

Novella Review: Sparkle Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic #3.5)

Sparkle Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic, #3.5)

Sparkle Witch

Helen Harper

Overall: 3/5

Plot and themes: 3/5

Characters: 4/5

Writing style: 4/5

Attention-grabbing: 3/5

Sparkle Witch is the final-final addition to this series. A novella set a few months after the conclusion of the main series, this is just a short little look into where are main characters are in life and how everything is shaping up. There's a thievery and Ivy finds herself responsible for tracking it down rather than facing the risk of an earth-shattering curse ending everything. But it's not really as serious as all that and mostly it's just a cute little Christmas story. 

My biggest problem with it all is probably that it was so pointless. I didn't get fantastic romantic interactions, I didn't get some crazy mystery, and I didn't get a look into the combined struggles of being in charge of a major organization and tracking down all of England's descendants of people who accidentally cursed souls. I wanted one of those things, and while I was kind of satisfied with the development of Brutus's whole story I think it was a weird step away from the whole lead up they were doing. I also liked his banter but I didn't really need the whole hidden thing. I was expecting a lot more gushy romance stuff and I got basic crumbs. 

I'm also confused as to where we're even leaving Ivy and Winter, are they married or just dating? She called herself a wife once but I think as a joke and I'm pretty sure at another point she said girlfriend but people in the reviews seem to think they're married? I don't know but it could've been clarified in this novella and instead I just lack fulfillment. Still love the series and had a great time but I just want more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...