Monday, July 5, 2021

Book Review: Wicked Wish (Dragon's Gift: The Storm #1)

Wicked Wish (Dragon's Gift: The Storm #1)

Wicked Wish

Veronica Douglas and Linsey Hall

Overall: 3/5

Plot and themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing style: 3/5

Attention-grabbing: 3/5

Wicked Wish is the first book in the Dragon's Gift series that follows Nevaeh as she tries to figure out her powers and her past while saving her randomly kidnapped best friend. She works for the supernatural division of the FBI but she doesn't have much upward mobility because she's been hiding her superpowers and apparently you're promoted based on magic rather than detective merit. It's not a very well-defined system but she's always been one to color inside the lines. That is until her friend is kidnapped and she teams up with a bounty hunter (who's also a criminal I don't know if that's a side thing or a misinterpretation of what a bounty hunter is) and breaks all the rules to save her. 

It was fairly average across the board. I wasn't super excited by it but I finished it quickly because it held my attention. I think the characters went back and forth a lot more than what I typically like but because the book went so fast it really wasn't that big of an issue. The authors held out a lot on giving us what we really want to know- her heritage and her magic abilities- so I'll definitely be reading the sequel just to satisfy that. 

The romance was eh. I don't know we really don't know enough about either of the protagonists for me to feel especially motivated to ship them with each other. I guess it has potential in the same way that every dark and angsty protagonist has potential to be the standard love interest. It's weird cause I don't want to read unless there's a romance but I don't particularly care that much about the romance here despite that being at the center. I don't know, I'm hoping that in the next book everything clicks a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...