Saturday, July 31, 2021

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) 

A Court of Thorns and Roses

Sarah J. Maas

Overall: 2/5

Plot and themes: 2/5

Characters: 2/5

Writing style: 2/5

Attention-grabbing: 3/5

Me doing a reread of ACOTAR in the year 2021 is pretty wild but book club is book club. ACOTAR is something completely separate from the ACOTAR series because really it's just a whole other arc. Is it boring? Sometimes. Is it basic? Most of the time. I'm not a huge ACOTAR fan but I can respect that it has it's moments, and this one has probably the fewest of those moments?

I think that the biggest issue that I had with this book in discussion was the amount of times she had to use the phrase her bowels turned watery. Three. Three times in the course of the 400-some pages of this book. That was just the tip of the iceberg though, SJM uses way too many random phrases that are just not good for the situation or the universe. It's not even a problem with just this book, I had that same issues in ACOSF. It's really just a SJM thing. 

Not much to say, it's just a kind of basic Beauty and the Beast retelling and there's not a ton of chemistry between the main characters. I guess it's a nice commentary on the difficulties with romances across different classes. I don't know really because it just seems kind of bland and I guess I'm most offended by the fact that it's so popular.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...