Monday, June 28, 2021

Book Review: Spirit Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic #2)

Spirit Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide To Magic #3) 

Overall: 4/5

Plot and themes: 4/5

Characters: 5/5

Writing style: 4/5

Attention-grabbing: 5/5

This is the third and final full-length book in the Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic series following Ivy Wilde and Raphael Winter. Ivy has just survived a catastrophic incantation and mostly recovered from the medical aftermath. Aside from the fact that she's seeing ghosts now and she's not sure if they're real or hallucinations. When they start giving her tips about murders though she knows she has to step up to the plate and finally get off her couch again. 

I still loved the universe and the characters but this one felt like a bit of a rushed conclusion. I think we could've done with a lot more exposition on this villain, who seems to be the ultimate villain of the trilogy, along with more on the backgrounds of the main characters. I'm not even sure if Ivy has a family or what because if she was a hair from dying and no one showed up I'm going to have to assume she doesn't. The interaction with Winter's family that was mentioned in the synopsis was given like three pages and all in all it felt like the rise and fall of the series was difficult to peg. That doesn't mean I disliked it, I still think this alone was a four-star read, but the whole series either needs more books or should just be accepted as more surface level writing. 

The epilogue with Brutus was super cute because I love his perspective. He really made the books and I'm disappointed that I won't get to read more of him. I know there's a novella which I haven't read yet so we'll have to see if I can motivate myself to get into it knowing that there aren't any more full-length books out there and that there are so many questions about Ivy and Winter that I still want answered.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...